Gihei Hamono HAP40 Gyuto 210 mm
|Blade Length||210 mm|
|Total Length||368 mm|
|Height Spine to heel||50 mm|
|Width at Spine||2.5 mm|
Gihei Knives are made by blacksmith Takashi Hosokawa-san who is the fifth generation smith working out of a shop that is over 80 years old behind his house near Sanjo city. He Took over from his Father who used to make knives and sell them at the local market. His knives feature fantastic grinds, great fit and finish, fantastic edge geometry and come very sharp right out of the box. Aogomi Super is one of our favorite steels here at the shop as it provides great edge retention, easy sharpening and because these knives are clad in stainless steel they are relatively easy to maintain.
HAP40 is an example of a quick powdered tool steel that has gained a reputation as one of the highest performing stainless steels available. It has a rockwell hardness of 65-66 which is close to the highest we've ever seen, giving you some of the best edge retention you've ever encountered but will never rust or discolour unlike carbon steels. The fit and finish on these knives is amazing as well! Fantastic handles with buffalo horn ferrules give these a simple but beautiful look.
The Gyuto is the Japanese Equivalent to a Chef's knife and we would argue an essential tool for any professional cook/chef or any serious home cook. The long blade makes for easy slicing, it can be used to chop vegetables, break down fish and perform other butchery tasks and pretty much anything else you can throw at it.
Knife Care (Stainless Steel)
- Although this knife is made from stainless steel we do still encourage our customers to keep their knives as dry and clean as possible.
- NO DISHWASHER - the high heat will ruin the wooden handle.
- Wash and dry by hand using regular dish soap and warm water using a none abrasive sponge or cloth.
- Ensure the knife is dry before being put away for storage and ensure the edge of the knife is protected to avoid any unnecessary dulling.
- Avoid Bones, Frozen foods, nuts and hard candies or anything other than fruits, vegetables and proteins.