Gihei Hamono Nashiji Gyuto 240 mm
|Blade Length||240 mm|
|Total Length||400 mm|
|Height Spine to heel||53 mm|
|Width at Spine||3 mm|
Gihei Knives are made by blacksmith Takashi Hosokawa-san who is the fifth generation smith working out of a shop that is over 80 years old behind his house near Sanjo city. He Took over from his Father who used to make knives and sell them at the local market. His knives feature fantastic grinds, great fit and finish, fantastic edge geometry and come very sharp right out of the box. Aogomi Super is one of our favorite steels here at the shop as it provides great edge retention, easy sharpening and because these knives are clad in stainless steel they are relatively easy to maintain.
The Gyuto is the Japanese Equivalent to a Chef's knife and we would argue an essential tool for any professional cook/chef or any serious home cook. The long blade makes for easy slicing, it can be used to chop vegetables, break down fish and perform other butchery tasks and pretty much anything else you can throw at it.
Knife Care (Stainless Clad)
- This knife is made from 3 layers of steel using a technique called Sanmai (Forge welding). It involves laminating a piece of Carbon steel with two pieces of Stainless steel giving the knife all the benefits of the carbon steel (Edge retention, ease of sharpening, cutting feel) and the Ease of Maintenance from Stainless steel. 2-3 millimeters of the carbon steel is exposed at the edge of the knife and is susceptible to rust and discouloration if not properly maintained.
- Simply Wipe the knife with a damp cloth immediately after use to keep it from rusting or discouloring.
- Never put your knife in the Dishwasher. The extreme heat will ruin the wooden handle.
- Highly acidic ingredients (Onions, Tomatoes, Citrus) Will cause rust and oxidation to happen faster, thus the user must ensure the knife is wiped clean immediately after working with such an ingredient.
- Should any rust form it can be removed using a rust eraser or a mixture of Baking soda and water to simply scrub it clean.