|Blade Length||165 mm|
|Total Length||310 mm|
|Steel||Shirogame (white) #1|
|Height Spine to heel||45 mm|
|Width at Spine||2.5 mm|
We're very excited to have these knives in the Shop! Forged by blacksmith Tadayoshi Kajiwara from shirogami #1 carbon steel and clad in iron they require more diligence during use and storage to avoid rust and discolouration but Shirogami #1 steel is arguably the easiest steel to sharpen and it takes a fantastic edge with little effort. After forging Kajiwara-san sends these blades to a young sharpener by the name of Abe-san who was previously the head sharpener for Yoshimi Kato-san before he struck out on his own and now works in his own shop not far from the Takefu Knife village. These are great value knives and Abe-san's beveling and sharpening is top notch.
Knife Care (Iron Clad)
- This Knife is made from 3 layers of material; A layer of iron on each side protecting a layer of carbon steel at the core, in a process referred to as Sanmai or forge welding. Iron and carbon steel are both susceptible to rust and must be kept dry and clean at all time’s to avoid oxidation and discolouration.
- Simply wipe the knife with a damp cloth immediately after use.
- Wash with regular dish soap and warm water using a none abrasive sponge or cloth.
- Never put your knife in the dishwasher! The extreme heat will ruin the wooden handle.
- Highly acidic ingredients (Onions, Tomatoes, Citrus) Will cause rust and oxidation to happen faster, thus the user must ensure the knife is wiped clean immediately after working with such an ingredient.
- Should any rust form it can be removed using a rust eraser or a mixture of Baking soda and water to simply scrub it clean.
- Avoid Bones, Frozen foods, nuts and hard candies or anything other than fruits, vegetables and proteins.