|Core Steel||Aogami Super|
Yoshimi Kato-san works out of the Takefu Knife village and took over the Family business from his father in 2013. His Father Hiroshi Kato-san started the shop in the late 1960's and was inaugurated as the 4th Chairman of the Takefu Knife village in 1994. Making incredible knives runs in the family obviously and we're very excited to have these incredibly sharp knives in our shop. They are sharpened by famous knife sharpener Makoto Kurosaki-san; brother of one of our favorite knifemakers Yu Kurosaki-san.
The Gyuto is the Japanese equivalent to a standard western style Chef's knife and is an essential for the Professional cook/chef. It is the most versatile knife available and can be used for basically any task you throw at it. For home cooks we would argue it's a great option provided you are comfortable with it's length, we have noticed most home cooks find it to be just a tad too long and therefor they find the santoku to be a better option.
Knife Care (Stainless Clad)
- This knife is made from 3 layers of steel using a technique called Sanmai (Forge welding). It involves laminating a piece of Carbon steel with two pieces of Stainless steel giving the knife all the benefits of the carbon steel (Edge retention, ease of sharpening, cutting feel) and the Ease of Maintenance from Stainless steel. 2-3 millimeters of the carbon steel is exposed at the edge of the knife and is susceptible to rust and discouloration if not properly maintained.
- Simply Wipe the knife with a damp cloth immediately after use to keep it from rusting or discouloring.
- Wash with regular dish soap and warm water using a none abrasive sponge or cloth.
- Never put your knife in the Dishwasher. The extreme heat will ruin the wooden handle.
- Highly acidic ingredients (Onions, Tomatoes, Citrus) Will cause rust and oxidation to happen faster, thus the user must ensure the knife is wiped clean immediately after working with such an ingredient.
- Should any rust form it can be removed using a rust eraser or a mixture of Baking soda and water to simply scrub it clean.
- Avoid Bones, Frozen foods, nuts and hard candies or anything other than fruits, vegetables and proteins.