Shigeki Tanaka AO #2 Damascus Gyuto 270 mm
|Blade Length||270 mm|
|Total Length||420 mm|
|Steel||Aogomi #2 (Carbon Steel)|
|Height Spine to heel||55 mm|
|Width at Spine||2.8 mm|
Shigeki Tanaka started his blacksmith journey when he apprenticed in the Takefu knife village near Echizen city for three years. A region renowned for it's cutlery making and forging techniques he learned the intricacies of hand forging blades used for food production there. He later moved back to Miki City to continue his work at his Family's shop where they primarily made sickles and other agricultural tools. Now the shop focuses on Kitchen knives and has gained a reputation worldwide for producing some of the best knives available.
Knife Care (Carbon Steel)
- This Knife is made from a carbon steel called Aogomi #2. Aogomi translating to "blue steel" which refers not to the colour of the steel but the colour of paper the steel is wrapped in when delivered to the blacksmiths so they can differentiate between steel types.
- Carbon steel can rust or discolour if not properly maintained.
- To do so, Simply wipe the knife with a damp cloth immediately after use.
- Wash with regular dish soap and warm water using a none abrasive sponge or cloth.
- Never put your knife in the dishwasher! The extreme heat will ruin the wooden handle.
- Keep your knife as dry and as clean as possible at all times.
- Highly acidic ingredients (Onions, Tomatoes, Citrus) Will cause rust and oxidation to happen faster, thus the user must ensure the knife is wiped clean immediately after working with such an ingredient.
- Should any rust form it can be removed using a rust eraser or a mixture of Baking soda and water to simply scrub it clean.
- Avoid Bones, Frozen foods, nuts and hard candies or anything other than fruits, vegetables and proteins.