|Blade Length||165 mm|
|Total Length||310 mm|
|Steel||Aogami Super Stainless Clad|
|Height Spine to Heel||300 mm|
|Width at spine||1.8m|
Located in Tosa city, Japan these knives are forged for us by a group of blacksmiths over seen by head blacksmith Suzuki-san. The history of Tosaichi Hamono can be traced back 800 years and is rooted in traditional forging techniques developed over the centuries coupled with new age techniques that make for some really beautiful knives at affordable prices. They work with a wide variety of steels which allows them to offer knives that are suitable for many people. Knives from the Tosaichi Shadow line are balanced forward but are overall quite light. They are thin at the spine and come quite thin behind the edge for a great cutting feel.
The Santoku shape is very versatile and great for almost any cutting task. The word translates to Three virtue's which refers to, depending on who you talk to, either slicing, dicing and chopping or meat, fish and vegetables - basically the name attempts to bring light to its extreme versatility. If you're looking for that one knife that can do it all, the Santoku is a great option.
Knife Care (Stainless Clad)
- This knife is made from 3 layers of steel using a technique called Sanmai (Forge welding). It involves laminating a piece of Carbon steel with two pieces of Stainless steel giving the knife all the benefits of the carbon steel (Edge retention, ease of sharpening, cutting feel) and the Ease of Maintenance from Stainless steel. 2-3 millimeters of the carbon steel is exposed at the edge of the knife and is susceptible to rust and discouloration if not properly maintained.
- Simply Wipe the knife with a damp cloth immediately after use to keep it from rusting or discouloring.
- Never put your knife in the Dishwasher. The extreme heat will ruin the wooden handle.
- Highly acidic ingredients (Onions, Tomatoes, Citrus) Will cause rust and oxidation to happen faster, thus the user must ensure the knife is wiped clean immediately after working with such an ingredient.
- Should any rust form it can be removed using a rust eraser or a mixture of Baking soda and water to simply scrub it clean.