Yoshida Damascus Santoku 180 mm
|Blade Length||180 mm|
|Total Length||310 mm|
|Height Spine to heel||48 mm|
|Width at Spine||1.5 mm|
Yoshida Hamono is a small shop located in Saga city, Japan on the southern Island of Kyushu. They are like most other Hamono in Japan a Family business and have a long history of forging knives, katana and agricultural tools by hand. They make very high-quality knives made from a steel called ZDP-189 which has become popular among knife enthusiast’s and chef’s alike for its incredible edge retention. Osamu-san is a master working with this steel which is notorious for being incredibly difficult to work with due to Its hardness (HRC 68) and the knives he produces are both beautiful and very high performing. We would characterize the knives Yoshida Hamono makes as being thin and light with very good fit and finish and great performance.
The word Santoku translates to Three virtues which refers to either slicing, dicing and chopping or meat, fish and vegetables depending who you talk to. Basically the name implies extreme versatility and we would recommend them to home cooks who want that one knife that can do it all or the professional that wants something a little more compact and nimble than a Gyuto (Chef's Knife).
Knife Care (Stainless Steel)
- Although this knife is made from stainless steel we do still encourage our customers to keep their knives as dry and clean as possible.
- NO DISHWASHER - the high heat will ruin the wooden handle.
- Wash and dry by hand using regular dish soap and warm water using a none abrasive sponge or cloth.
- Ensure the knife is dry before being put away for storage and ensure the edge of the knife is protected to avoid any unnecessary dulling.
- Avoid Bones, Frozen foods, nuts and hard candies or anything other than fruits, vegetables and proteins.