This is a great starter set of knives for any home cook looking to up their game in the kitchen, or the professional cook on a budget. The Gyuto is the japanese equivalent to a chef's knife and is the most versatile knife shape available. It can do it all; chop larger vegetables, perform more intricate work on smaller vegetalbes, slice meat and pretty much anything else you can throw at it. Pair the Gyuto with the Petty knife and there is little that cannot be done; the petty knife is this set is great for smaller tasks that come up throughout the day and is great to leave out on the countertop as it doesn't take up a lot of space. The petty is great for taking the tops off strawberries or cutting up fruit for breakfast, slicing a tomato or cutting a sandwhich in half for lunch or any other jobs that don't require the larger Gyuto, which could be pulled out for dinner prep.
These knives are made for us by Masutani-san who works out of the Takefu knife village near Echizen city. He takes great pride in his sharpening methods and achieves a razor sharp edge on each knife that he produces. The VG-1 gold steel used to make these knives is stainless and has great rust resistance while still providing very good edge retention.
If you would like to read more about each of the knives please follow the link below:
Knife Care (Stainless Steel)
- Although this knife is made from stainless steel we do still encourage our customers to keep their knives as dry and clean as possible.
- NO DISHWASHER - the high heat will ruin the wooden handle.
- Wash and dry by hand using regular dish soap and warm water using a none abrasive sponge or cloth.
- Ensure the knife is dry before being put away for storage and ensure the edge of the knife is protected to avoid any unnecessary dulling.
- Avoid Bones, Frozen foods, nuts and hard candies or anything other than fruits, vegetables and protein