|Core steel||Aogami Super|
Located in Tosa city, Japan these knives are forged for us by a group of blacksmiths over seen by head blacksmith Suzuki-san. The history of Tosaichi Hamono can be traced back 800 years and is rooted in traditional forging techniques developed over the centuries coupled with new age techniques that make for some really beautiful knives at affordable prices. They work with a wide variety of steels which allows them to offer knives that are suitable for many people. Knives from the Tosaichi AO Super line are designed to be lasers. They are thin at the spine and come quite thin behind the edge for a great cutting feel.
The kiritsuke is said to be the master chefs knife in a restaurant. Having the one knife that he can go to all the stations and do every job with, its a much a status symbol as it is versatile. Long enough to tackle the larger jobs like breaking down larger cuts of meat or fish, flat enough to be used in place of a slicer, and with an aggressive enough tip to handle even the most intricate work like a brunoise or garnish cuts.
Knife Care (Stainless Clad)
- This knife is made from 3 layers of steel using a technique called Sanmai (Forge welding). It involves laminating a piece of Carbon steel with two pieces of Stainless steel giving the knife all the benefits of the carbon steel (Edge retention, ease of sharpening, cutting feel) and the Ease of Maintenance from Stainless steel. 2-3 millimeters of the carbon steel is exposed at the edge of the knife and is susceptible to rust and discouloration if not properly maintained.
- Simply Wipe the knife with a damp cloth immediately after use to keep it from rusting or discouloring.
- Never put your knife in the Dishwasher. The extreme heat will ruin the wooden handle.
- Highly acidic ingredients (Onions, Tomatoes, Citrus) Will cause rust and oxidation to happen faster, thus the user must ensure the knife is wiped clean immediately after working with such an ingredient.
- Should any rust form it can be removed using a rust eraser or a mixture of Baking soda and water to simply scrub it clean.