This is a great Pair for any home cook looking to upgrade their Kitchen Knives. The Nakiri is designed specifically for vegetable chopping and it's flat profile means that the entirety of the edge contacts the board when using an up and down chopping motion. You will notice there is still a slight curve towards the tip of this knife which does allow for some rock chopping as well. The petty knife is great for all the little things and can be left out on the countertop all day to take care of those random jobs that pop up that don't require a large knife. Some examples would be slicing a tomato, cutting a sandwich in half, taking the tops off strawberries or brussels sprouts, ect... The Petty is even great for many butchery tasks like breaking down chickens and small fish like trout.
These knives are made for us by Masutani-san who works out of the Takefu knife village near Echizen city. He takes great pride in his sharpening methods and achieves a razor sharp edge on each knife that he produces. The VG-1 gold steel used to make these knives is stainless and has great rust resistance while still providing very good edge retention.
Knife Care (Stainless Steel)
- Although this knife is made from stainless steel we do still encourage our customers to keep their knives as dry and clean as possible.
- NO DISHWASHER - the high heat will ruin the wooden handle.
- Wash and dry by hand using regular dish soap and warm water using a none abrasive sponge or cloth.
- Ensure the knife is dry before being put away for storage and ensure the edge of the knife is protected to avoid any unnecessary dulling.
- Avoid Bones, Frozen foods, nuts and hard candies or anything other than fruits, vegetables and protein